• Page:

TOPIC: Round 3/4 discussion.

blockerhall Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 5 days ago #1

blockerhall
Stupid Thursday night games. Didn't put a side in. Didn't have a player in my squad from either side last night. FWIW, this would have been my side, the only significant change to the starting lineup from last week's named side is Sam Lloyd out for mighty Bailey Fritsch.

Placeholder Willsie Aeroplanes:
Ruck: GOLDSTEIN, Todd (NM)
Backs: SHEPPARD, Brad (Booo); MILLS, Callum (Sydney)
Mids: ROCKLIFF, Tom (Pooo); SIDEBOTTOM, Steele (Coll); KELLY, Tim (Booo)
Forwards: FRITSCH, Bayley (Melb); MCDONALD-TIPUNGWUTI, Anthony (Ess-ankle-test.)

I/C: COX, Mason (Coll-knee-test); CARLISLE, Jake (St Kilda); FLORENT, Oliver (Syd); MENEGOLA, Sam (Gee.)

Injured: FRANKLIN, Lance (Sydney-hamstring-TBC :()
Not Selected: BURTON, Ryan (Pooo); LUKOSIUS, Jack (GC); LLOYD, Sam (WB)
Non-AFL selected:
Suspended:
CV19:
Login to reply,
pollyanna said You Beaut

pollyanna Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 4 days ago #2

pollyanna
Blocker, mate - you gotta look at Moptop's example and aspire to the way he pulled himself out of the free-wheeling, time neglecting hobo he was. I got a hold of the Moptop 2019 Year Calendar from a 50c bin at the newsagent last year. It was 4 pages in total:

Summer: relax, don't think about anything.
Blank page: do some funny doodles, maybe use one as a tatt.
Winter: football, just email Mercs every now and again and let him sort it out.
Spring: Oh, the Duffle finals - I wonder, ok email Mercs and he'll sort it.
Get Ready for Another Summer - blank page.

Buy hey, the bloke got a watch, a 12 month calendar with the days and weeks numbered and got on his game. It was an articulation process of mammoth proportions. But he managed it.

Put your mind to it Blocker, you'll get there.
Login to reply,
Bizkit, captdazza, moptop said You Beaut

pollyanna Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 4 days ago #3

pollyanna
Oops, just borrowed Mercury's calculator - Mop's 2019 Calendar was 5 pages in total (not 4).
Login to reply,
Mercury said You Beaut

moptop Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 4 days ago #4

moptop
That all looks completely reasonable to me, not to mention a suitable allocation of my meagre resources.

I must pull you up on one critical detail though, Polly:

In Summer I occasionally think about... um... yeah, ok.
Login to reply,
Mercury, ooslumbird, pollyanna said You Beaut

moptop Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 3 days ago #5

moptop
Sunday's match between Essendon and Melbourne has been postponed after Conor McKenna tested positive to Covid-19.

Plague! Plague!

I've got three players in that match. Hope my subs are up to the job.
Login to reply,

FD1016 Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 3 days ago #6

FD1016
Same Moptop... just on that point though... if there’s one less game tomorrow, why have they moved it to two hours later?
AFL thinking too much or not at all?
Login to reply,

captdazza Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 3 days ago #7

captdazza
Interesting development. Gil said the postponed game won’t be rescheduled within this block of fixtures, so will be at least 3 weeks away, if not longer, if not at all.

In case Merc doesn’t already have a solution, I’ll chuck a few ideas out there:

I. Matches remain uncompleted until whenever the Mel v Ess game occurs
II. Matches completed using your 4 bench players
III. Matches completed using whole squad rather than only your named bench ie effectively 8 on the bench
IV. Round cancelled – noting if we double up each week, we should have plenty of time to complete the season allowing for a few cancelled rounds along the way
V. It’s all too hard and come back next year

My preference is to play until it gets too hard.
2012 Duffle Champ
Login to reply,

Mercury Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 3 days ago #8

Mercury
At this stage, my thoughts are to leave this round incomplete and not assess the wins/losses until the final game of this round is played.

At this stage. Those are the key words. When we know more, we can make the best decision.

One option, Captain, is to give "average" stats to those players affected.
Login to reply,
Bizkit said You Beaut

TheColonel Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 3 days ago #9

TheColonel
me thinks that some of the averages may better than the actual stats.
Login to reply,
Mercury said You Beaut

Bizkit Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 2 days ago #10

Bizkit
Depending on when the Essendon vs Melbourne clash is rescheduled, the option of taking selected players season average as their score for Rd 3, similar to a number of fantasy sites are doing, seems tempting and fair.

You'd expect those players to score as they have previously which would be a fair compromise and more relevant than any other solution such as taking the best bench players as replacements. The worry for a rescheduled game is what happens to players named this weekend who are then unable to play whenever it's rescheduled let alone if the game does actually go ahead (pending any further covid-19 cases now or later in the season that could cut the number of games played) or is called off completely.
Nathan: When did you get balls?
Simon: I've always had balls you've just never seen them.
Nathan: That's the gayest thing I've ever heard.
Login to reply,
captdazza said You Beaut

ooslumbird Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 2 days ago #11

ooslumbird
With the utmost respect, how in the blazes can averaging be in any sense of the word fair, when scores in round 3 were affected by some heavy downpours. A bloke tallies up nice disposals or marks, whatever, in rounds one and two, and in round 3 the totals dropped considerably. Bloody hell, where's a a statue I can knock over?
I agree with those two leaned learned gentlemen, Merc and the Colonel. There are a few games actually put to bed because of the lack of affected players. Just sayin.

Yabba yabba that's it folks.
Login to reply,
pollyanna said You Beaut

Bizkit Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 1 day ago #12

Bizkit
I'm pretty sure the weather for the Victorian game was supposed to be sunny so it should be a pretty representative way of determining how a player would score. I'm sure the season average is more fair than using bench players as substitutes and on further thought, waiting for a rescheduled game.

I don't know how many DuFFLe games this could effect a result in but I had an Essendon player starting and on my bench so my games would be effected. My vote would be to use player averages to this point in the season unless the Ess/Melb game is rescheduled to be in the next few weeks.

It would suck if later in the season you have a player you selected now as a forward due to him playing that way so far this season, moved to defence to cover for someone else out due to injury/structure etc. Or a player simply not playing or playing hurt and out of form. These players scoring less or not at all would seem more unjust than taking an average of their first 2 games.
Nathan: When did you get balls?
Simon: I've always had balls you've just never seen them.
Nathan: That's the gayest thing I've ever heard.
Login to reply,
captdazza said You Beaut

Mercury Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 1 day ago #13

Mercury
I am going to hold off until we know more. Maybe they'll play the Ess/Mel game quite soon.

Maybe not.
Login to reply,

Straddo Round 3/4 discussion. 2 weeks 1 day ago #14

Straddo
Call it now, too bad if your players missed out, thems the breaks...wait, what was that, 2 of my midfielders were in that game...Ok hold your horses, maybe we better wait until the game is played to determine the results.

On the bright side, I named two teams, one had no players impacted, one had the two mids, nulling the scores could result in one of the lowest scoring games of all time for that team. (Sadly I think I already hold that record)

I'm not sure about using the averages, I prefer the randomness of the scores and would happily take the scores from a game later in the season as the score for this week (EG use week 6's players scores to finalise this week)
Login to reply,
  • Page:
Moderators: Mercury