TOPIC: 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections

Mercury 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 1 month 1 day ago #1

Mercury

With Collingwood hosting Essendon at the MCG this Friday night at 7:50pm Vic Winter Time, your team for The Big Dance and the little dance needs to be submitted by 5:40pm WA time this Friday to this thread.

We wish Alvin and Straddo all the best when they challenge for the 2019 Glenmorangie DuFFLe Premiership this weekend. The Buccaneers number one player is, of course, Max Gawn. Big Maxy will give Alvin a decided advantage as Straddo only has Stefan Martin.

In the backline, the best players the Buccaneers have at their disposal are Phil Davis and Lachie Whitfield and they would shade the Souls’ Gary Ablett and Tim Membrey. So far, advantage Alvin. But the midfield strength lies with the Souls. They have Treloar, Dunkley and Polec whereas Harmes, Houli and Kennedy are just okay.

Looking at the forwards, the Souls have many more scoring players to choose from and, with some deft selection, will do better than the Buccaneers. So, all in all, it looks like a close game. I suspect that if big Maxy plays a blinder, this will decide the match in Alvin’s favour.

For the Stones Green Ginger Wine Richmond Cup, the Collusions have Sean Darcy whereas Oos will probably lead with Oscar McInerney. No advantage to either team. 391 appears slightly behind the eight-ball in the defence though with players like Tex Walker and Zac Williams. Oos has better scoring backs with Adam Tomlinson and Dayne Zorko.

In the midfield, Oos appears to have a slight advantage with Macrae, Laird and Walsh whereas 391 has Lloyd, Hunter and Fiorini. To balance things up for the Collusions a forward line of Lynch and Jarrod Cameron should shade Charlie Cameron and Gary Rohan. This one is way too close to call.

Grand Final
Alvin Prpl v Straddo
  • Played 5 times since 2013.
  • Number of victories for Alvin Prpl: 3
  • Number of victories for Straddo: 2
  • Draws: 0

Richmond Cup
391 v Ooslumbird
  • Played 6 times since 2013.
  • Number of victories for 391: 3
  • Number of victories for Ooslumbird: 3
  • Draws: 0
The topic has been locked.

pollyanna 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 1 month 1 day ago #2

pollyanna
The Ooslumbird has been foxing everyone all year - Go Big Fella!

ooslumbird 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 1 month 20 hours ago #3

ooslumbird
Not really Poll. Trying to keep the head above water mostly this season. We've been keeping each other company at base camp most of the time. All the best to all fortunate enough to be taking part. And as my mate Ross would say...see you next year!
THE KNIGHTS
BACKS: D Zorko(Bris), A Tomlinson(GWS)
MIDS: J Macrae(WB) S Walsh(Carl), R Laird(Adel)
FORWARDS: R Gray(Port) C Cameron(Bris)
RUCK: O McInerney(Bris)
INTER: G Rohan(Gee)C Salem(Melb) D Swallow(GC) T Cotchin(Rich)
FD1016, 391 said You Beaut

Straddo 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 1 month 17 hours ago #4

Straddo
The Souls have tried to tailor their team like the Dockers, and it shows in Mercs analysis that our best backmen are Ablett and Membrey. Let's just hope the board doesn't get any funny ideas before the last game of the season!
FD1016, Mercury said You Beaut

purple kit 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 4 weeks 2 days ago #5

purple kit
Well done Straddo and Alvin, teams look close, but my money is on the buccaneers who sat at the top of the ladder most of the year without always scoring the most they always managed to score enough.

Alvin Prpl 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 4 weeks 2 days ago #6

Alvin Prpl
Yay phone reception again, actually I'm not sure if is a good thing but for duffle it's required.

I've gotta say I disagree with your preview Merc.
I think it will be my midfield and defenders that will get me over the line this week, not the mighty Captain Gawn.

Gawn sat the last half of the last quarter out last week with hamstring soreness and Braydon Pruess has been named not just as an emergency but onfield.
I'm worried that if Gawn plays his scoring will be affected by Preuss, he never scores as high when Preuss is also playing.
I'd actually prefer it if Gawn is a late out and Preuss goes solo ruck, he went well 44 hitouts and 5 marks (27) when he went solo earlier in the year, how good would it be to take out the granny with only 1 of my first 4 draft picks.

The Mighty Buccaneers Grand Final side. (for now)

B: Phil Davis, Will Hoskin-Elliott
M: Lachie Whitfield, Josh P Kennedy, Bachar Houli
F: Luke Bruest, Sam Lloyd
R: Big Max

I: Braydon Preuss, James Harmes, Dan Hannebery, Alex Sexton.

Here's to a good close game Straddo but of course a win to THE BUCCANEERS.

YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM GLENMORANGIE
Mercury, pollyanna said You Beaut

391 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 4 weeks 1 day ago #7

Backs – Cam Guthrie and Jake Lever

Mids – Lloyd (Syd), Hunter (WB) and Williams (GWS)

Fwds – Tex (Crows) and Tom Lynch (Richmond)

Ruck – Sandilands (just wanted to name the great man one more time in Duffle ... has been rolled gold for whoever had him and when fit over the last 10 years)

Actual ruck – edit Darcy out ... oh dear ... Jake Carlisle (StK)

IC - Jarrod Cameron, Fiorini (GC), Dunstan (StK), Griffin Logue

Good luck to all this weekend.

Already looking forward to draft night 2020.

Hg - you legend.
Mercury said You Beaut

Straddo 2019: Finals Week #4 - Team Selections 4 weeks 1 day ago #8

Straddo
Well the pressure is on up at Mestersvig HQ. The board met yesterday, and there was talk of the Hannebery trade being a mistake earlier in the season. If we go down this weekend the coach could end up being fed to the polar bears!

Unlike the inexorable deterioration of the climate and the polar bear habitat, the Souls have shown they're prepared to change! Up against the mighty Buccaneers (+22 on average if only scores for the year) the Souls have wrung the changes and picked a team that could fall over like the Dockers in a tribute game or ride to glory like the Dockers in an Unwinnable clash against the top of the table team.

Here's hoping it's the latter.

Mids: Treloar, Dunkley, Polec
Ruck: Martin
Backs: Hartlett, Dahlhaus
Fwds: Membrey, Wood
Int - Lipinski, Menzel, Reiwoldt, Ablett

Thanks everyone for the season, and Merc for your infallible record keeping and tipping effort.
Mercury said You Beaut
Moderators: Mercury